Friday, August 25, 2006

God's Own Country

K and I went to the Quad Theater last night, and saw a short film written and directed by a Nigerian. It was called God's Own Country. I was all excited at the beginning of the movie, I thought this ought to be authentic to say the least.
The entire length of the movie was 43 minutes, but that was 40 minutes to long for me. It was incredibly excrutiating, and more so because I was incensed that anyone would even attempt to pass this off as art. Nollywood makes no apologies for what it is, so when you pick one of those lurid DVD's up you know exactly what you are getting into. This however was different. It was all decked out in sheep's clothing, and it wasn't until the entire theatre was silent and the credits had begun rolling that the wolf bared it's teeth.
I would attempt to give a review, but that have to involve the existence of a plot to be strung together. The one bright note was the impressive cinematography, but of course that just brought the shoddiness of everything else into sharp relief.
To sum it up, that movie delivered an excellent metaphor, albeit unknowingly, it was an adequate representation of the 'Naija Way'. Brilliant ideas, grandiose ambitions, one or two talented people in the mix, a bunch of lazy uneducated louts making up the rest, several corners cut and voila.....idea la need!
The movie was definitely a microcosm of what is all to frequetly the naija experience......frustration.

8 Comments:

Blogger chrome said...

yeah that must be frustrating. had a similar experience some months ago that got me driving across london for a film premiere. disappointing.

haven't they heard of "straight to dvd"? save us all the pain

3:51 PM  
Blogger Nkem said...

Poor you...

10:31 PM  
Blogger Nneka's World said...

Sorry my dear!

At the risk of sounding simple
The movie was baaaaad!!!

Sorry my dear anyway hope your weekend is alright

3:07 PM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

So u just wasted ur money.Sorry o.

But Monef u r good sha,reading thru the post I was actually waiting for u to tell us what happened in the movie and u did not even drop one hint.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe next time...I guess

7:47 AM  
Blogger TMinx said...

How annoying. Cool blog

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...please review...please

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a message on your post about the church, I know it was ages ago so you might not go and check it out but pls do.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home