Monday, July 31, 2006

On your marks.....


train

Set. Go. Every morning (and evening), as I approach the subway station I hear those imaginary words in my head. There is the faintest crack of the starter pistol as I bunch up my feet in the customary flip-flops and grip my stilettos as tightly as possible. And then the race is on.
The first leg involves a mad dash down the stairs and some serious diving to be grab the last AM New York. As with all free newspapers, there is pretty much nothing of consequence to be found within the pages of this rag, but free is free. Having completed the first leg, and now precariously balancing my shoes, my coffee, my bagel and my free newspaper, I commence the second leg. This must be done faster and requires significantly more concentration as the general idea is to grab my metrocard between my teeth and swipe it while rushing through the turnstile before someone steals my ride. This is more of an art than anything else, as you have to tilt your body just so to get the right amount of torque for perfect manoeuvreability.
Now the race is half done and the adrenaline kicks in as my goal is in sight. To embark on the third leg, I weave as close to the edge of the stairs as possible and arrive on the platform.This is where I have to cross an obstacle course of screaming kids, exhausted parents headed for work, trendy hipsters heading to bed, anorexic models not quite sure what time it is and prissy uptown girls offended to be there. If I run this leg of the race correctly, then I end up at the front of the platform, on the spot that says 'STAND CLEAR'.
And now the finish line is right there, I taste victory as the train whistles into the station blowing my hair right off my face and clearing the way. I spy my desired spot, an empty seat in the far left corner of the carriage, with an air-conditioning vent strategically placed just above. I employ all the skills of visualisation taught by self-help gurus across the country (Dr Phil owes me big time!) seeing myself at one with that spot in the carriage. As the doors fly open, the road runner has nothing on me! Before you can blink, I have settled myself into the seat. I balance my coffee and bagel on my lap, open the newspaper to the sudoku puzzle and sit back to savour the fruits of my labour. A seat on the 20 minute ride to work.......aaah bliss.

The New York City Subway Marathon...I run it everyday, best way to get the blood pumping.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This could easily pass for the London Underground marathon. Wow...

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wicked blog...i should write something aboutroad rage and the inherent lunacy that comes free with buying a BMW. (is it me or are all BMW drivers total idiots) Nice one.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Nkem said...

I now have subway images etched on my mind. Damn you! Speaking of freesheets, the things are ridiculously successful. The Russian version of the green metro you get in New York has been known to fetch a price. Apparently, women nick them from the drop off points and sell them away from the metropolis. Imagine that.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Nneka's World said...

Hahaha, at least you have a work out every morning, free of charge!

Love this post, funny, simple but hits the nail on the head!

Ps hope you are much better

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

lmao nice entry. Thank God my commute to work is a breeze. I used to dred the journey back home but since I moved, I love riding the train to and fro each day. The scenery is much peaceful now and the train isnt so packed. I dont miss driving to work anymore.

@delot: please take that statement back. am offended!

11:10 AM  
Blogger zaiprincesa said...

lol..interesting post...got that deja'vu feeling just reading it..cus my commute every morning is just as bad...

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can describe this situation in Stockholm, Sweden. I live pretty far out, at one of the end stations, Akalla, and have to go and pick up the free Metro newspaper, take up my SL-kort (metro card) slowly. I'll do your "metro card in mouth process", but without the mouth thing, even slower. Then I'll stand in the escalators, no hurry, the train will go in 5 minutes anyway. And what will I see at the platform? Nothing, and no one. It's empty. Maybe 4-5 people, maximum. And yeah, it's rush hour. I'll take the train to Kista, which is two stations later, the train has like 1000% more passangers now compared to when I left Akalla statoin, and I'm about to get off. Hundreds of people wants to get on the train, but since we're all kind, they'll let me get off first. Then I'll see the train from the inner city, and tries to run against the exit. To late, they stomp me to death. Oh no, I've lost.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@nneka, thanks for the kind words. I'm feeling much better.
@nkem - hilarious that people are making money off a free rag, sounds like something naija peeps would do.
@delot - lmao....write the road rage bit, would love to read your take on bmw driving wankstains
@mari - no doubt have caused offence, apologies in advance!!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

lmao monef, am not that offended. its all good. I just happen to disagree with that statement of his.

4:56 PM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

@Delot ..hahahah what did a BMW driver do u now?

Monef na wah o ..seems like u just described a movie ..mine is more like trying to run 5 idiots off the road when they r doing 30m/h on a 5 lane freeway in the morning with all 5 of them on a line and blocking everybody from passing.

Like Nneka said thatz a free workout for u right there,cos I remember loosing 6lbs from staying 15days in london

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hehehehed for a minute until i rehashed the Metrocard in mouth moment and Cringed! CAN YOU SAY GERMSSSS!!!! LOL

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home