Friday, August 11, 2006

Professional Networking Naija Style

Nkem is in my head!!! His post today centred on the career choices ethnic minorities make with a Nigerian spin. I went to an informal naija networking event last night in Manhattan, and I may have been the only Government employee there. Matter of fact save for a few random attorneys and your odd engineer, the room was littered with people from the world of finance. Granted NYC is a natural destinantion for Financial Services professionals, but my fellow naija folks seem to be unusually obsessed with making that dough. So much so that they head straight for a profession that involves constantly being surrounded by money matters.

This probably stems from the Naija parent general perspective that you go to school to study Law, Medecine, Accounting or Engineering. Anything else will be met with a sneer. "What did you read?" people will ask with scorn. When you reply that you attained a PhD in International Affairs, they will put a fake smile on and say "I see". All the while praising God that they have 4 MBA's sleeping under their roof. Strange animal, that perception.......

NB. Off to Boston this weekend. Looking forward to a bit of a change from NYC, it's always nice to go away because the best part is coming back!

11 Comments:

Blogger Quest said...

tell me about it. i've definitely noticed that it's the parents/older folks who push the money thing (and the youngsters caught up in having a rich lifestyle follow). ppl our age though are more open to fields like international affairs, psychology, etc. they may be in banking and finance, but when you tell them you're looking at human rights, they're interested in your story.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I just happened to get on ur site, which always happens as I have come to find the wonderful world of blogging. Anyhoo, my question to you, is how & where do you find out about Naija networks or events. I just moved to the NYC & it is quite difficult to meetg other Naija's in my age group (21-30). If you can share, that would be great!! Thanks

4:38 PM  
Blogger remi said...

Did you study Chem Eng before your Ph.d (just following on from Nkem blog)

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"my fellow naija folks seem to be unusually obsessed with making that dough" - tell me all about it. That is why I am doing what I am doing....Do I like it -hmmmm, pays the bills...

7:29 AM  
Blogger Corri S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

I did study Chem Eng, don't have the PhD yet...ask me a couple of years!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

yup...i totally agree...Nigerian parents have their own share of the blame for pressuring their kids into certain professions but these days....nigerian people seem to be following each other into jobs that are strictly bout the cash-money-owo....not that i am hating...cause money is GREAT but still....what about doing something that u enjoy....every nigerian dude in ny especially seems to be an investment banker thses days.....y now?

3:32 PM  
Blogger chrome said...

not suprised. went to nyc a few years ago to see my boy (holder of numerous MBA type things). every one i met worked in finance. told him and his ilk to get a life

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finance, Oil and Gas...isnt there more to us than the pursuit of the mighty Naira.?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Monef said...

@anonymous, nyc can be tough like that. On the plus side, once you meet one person, you are in. Drop me an email and i'll let you know when a bunch of peeps are meeting up so you can hang.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see nigerians in all sorts of fields, not just the so called big money fields. besides there is nothing wrong with going after those fields, its what parents should encourage thier kids to do.

at any rate, i have a degree in public admin and law.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home