Thursday, May 11, 2006

Monef's Top 10 Most Influential Bloggers 2006

After reading last week's edition of TIME magazine featuring the 100 most influential people: The People who shape our world, I decided to follow in their footsteps and create my own list of the people who have thus far shaped my naijablogging experience for better or worse. It will be quite interesting to do this again a year from now and see how much extended time in the blogsphere will have altered my perspective.

1. Jeremy: Naijablog - The Conduit
Naijablog for me and probably several other bloggers out there has had the biggest impact on my blogging experience so far. It led me down the path to the majority of blogs that I check on a daily basis. I am mostly fascinated by the fact that you never really know what sort of post you are going to find up, but I also love the philosophizing and heated debate that can almost always be found doing the rounds on Naijablog.

2. Nkem: African Shirts - The Educator
Nkem's blog has a profound impact on the way I view things. He can always be relied upon to provide the knowledge, but also shape the thinking. The writing is top notch, the perspective always original and the research absolutely staggering. Whenever he goes for long spells without posting, I get a little ratty!

3. Nneka: Confessions of the Mind - The Funny
I rely on Nneka to dish out the laughs. Her posts are always extremely refreshing, and she always manages to highlight the humour in almost any situation.

* Adaure came in a very close second for this spot especially because her ANTM wrap-ups constantly had me in stitches, but in the end Nneka won out overall.

4. Trae Days - The Drama
Trae can be relied upon to invariably bring the drama. In the short time that I have spent blogging there has been a fair amount of controversy surrounding Trae, this has more often than not led to several heated debates that have raged continually all over the blogsphere ensuring that there is barely a naijablogger out there who is not aware of him!

5.Dilichi: Thinking Out Loud - The Realness
Dilichi very often echoes my thoughts on her blog. Her posts very often resonate with me and encourage me to continue to share my experiences. She has a very no-nonsense approach and stands by her principles without necessarily coming across as unreasonable. Mad props.

6. Olawunmi: Silent Storms In An Ocean of One - The Heart
Olawumni's blogging reveals a tender and sensitive side not often seen in the blogsphere. His posts often invite you to read between the lines and explore the depth of emotion that led to their existence, and his skill with language only makes for more compelling reading.

7. Obifromsouthlondon: Soul On Ice - The Urban Guru
Obi's blogging provides such a varied and authentic experience that it is quite difficult to put into words. Its more than the music which is fabulous, you feel like you are genuinely on a trip, an experience to be savoured in it's entirety. That is no mean feat.

8. Chibs: Sugar is sweet, Pepper is peppery - The Beacon of Youth
Chibs was clearly born to write. Her narrative style is though thoroughly arresting, and webs woven with her words draw you in. I find myself wishing she would post more frequently, and that is always a good sign.

9. Toometoblog: A literary supplement to real life - The uber Nerd
This blog has me simultaneously mesmerised and amused. The rejoinders are almost as funny as the posts, and the observations are incredibly accurate and astute. Definitely one to watch out for in the future.

10. My last spot has to go to a set of pages that are no longer up, and thus have left a gaping hole in my blogging existence. Teju Cole's photography and tales of his recent trip to Nigeria proved to be a daily source of inspiration. The combination of beautiful B&W imagery and poetic lyricism gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I cannot forget, for that I am awarding those pages the "Gone but not Forgotten award".

That my friends concludes this year's list. Perhaps by next year this list will take me several days to complete due to the rich and varied blogging experience the year will have provided!

14 Comments:

Blogger chrome said...

is it unmanly to blush? lol. Monef what can I say :)

whenever, whereever, whatever big dutty cocktail drinks on me

4:16 PM  
Blogger Nneka's World said...

Awww, i am blushing like mad here:)

Thanks so much.
I am so blushing right now.

Anyway i would definetly keep the laughs coming, you only have one life, so make the most of it

Yeah as obi says:
whenever, whereever, whatever big dutty cocktail drinks on me

7:18 AM  
Blogger Noella said...

Oh my goodness, this is such a suprise and honour. I want to thank my mum and Dad for believing in me. My friend Opium for introducing me to blog, and of course God for encouraging me to continue blogging when no one was reading
YOU LIKE ME, YOU REALLY DO!!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

oh my God!!

when you consider that for years i viewed you as the little sister i had never met (thanks to my niggie Omoyeme), reading what you think about me has blown me away.

can i kiss you now?

thank you for the kind words.

[running off to hide my pleasure]

10:15 AM  
Blogger Nkem said...

flattered, but speechless! :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@ all you blushing senors and senoritas, I aim to please!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt make your top 10? :-(

Guess I need to try harder, might be listed in 2007 :-)

Your list is excellent.....They make my top 100 too...

Nice one

4:57 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@ Aba Boy

You know theres nowt but love!! I have every confidence taht you will make next years list as you will be posting very regularly by then!!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Adaure Achumba said...

BOO HOO HOO !!!! WHY DO I ALWAYS COME IN SECOND!!!!! THAT'S LIKE BEING THE FIRST LOOSER!!!! LOL!!!
Just stumbled on this doing my routine check I'm surprised i came that close for you because I don't ever consider my self funny but hey it's a pat on the back and honey i'll take it (Cheeeessssiing )lol

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're funny...

But we ain’t come here to start no drama/
We just lookin for our future baby mamas/
With money with face with style and body/
I cook I clean I swear that mami/


outta control...go figure

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened to boo?

1:56 AM  
Blogger toometoblog said...

Uber Nerd...it has a certain ring to it. i feel a song (or a tatoo) coming on. You've just made my blog week, so i promise to come out of this dry spell asap...I'm guessing no. 9 means i'm close to the edge, but hey its just May! true...but its just may?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@keji

boo should have had teh last spot as the most important non naijablogging blogger out there. In fact, she should be given honorary naija blogging status.....my bad boodles. Next year look for your name in lights!!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

flattery will get you everywhere Ms Monef!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home