Saturday, May 20, 2006

Family: can't live with them, can't live without them

There are those who will consider the subject of this post weird. They will wonder why at a time of so much international news of importance this was all I could find to write about, but I can't help it. I have family in town for the weekend, my two favourite aunts (all 5 of my aunts are my favourites, well maybe that's stretching it 4 out of 5) and my 19 month old cousin. This should be a joyful time right? So why can I not get the tension out of my shoulders? What is it about the arrival of family that makes me want to justify every decision I have made in the last 3 years. Why do I constantly need to explain myself to them? How come they can make me feel like I am 6 years old as opposed to 26? Is that why I felt the need to move halfway across the world from them? I have as much self confidence as anyone I know, why does that all vanish when they appear?
Family reading this, don't take offence, I'm merely attempting to understand the machinations of my ever more bizarre brain! It's definitely not you...It's just me.

7 Comments:

Blogger chrome said...

machinations intact. i still dread one of my aunties calling cos she always has me on the back foot. why this, why that. and if i argue everyone else gets involved. she's coming over to stay for the summer. arggghhh!!! ;) say hello to the aunties.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how right, and it not as if their lives are all there.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Nneka's World said...

I think its because they saw you grow up, all your mistakes and all.

I know when my mom or aunt say they are coming over, i start to get goosebumps, just incase they over analyse my life for me

4:38 AM  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

i agree with nneka. i think its because they feel that as grown-ups who saw you as a child, they can never accept the fact of your maturity. i have an aunt who quizzes me on marriage everytime she sees me. i'm at the point where i can't let her see the women i'm dating because she puts them through an embarassing interrogation.

i empathise jare. just hang in there...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Nkem said...

It's like something someone once said about women: Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em (cos your arse will get banged up - no pun intended)

11:14 AM  
Blogger uknaija said...

It's normal....we all get it

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
»

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home