Monday, January 09, 2006

Becca wished it...


trad
Originally uploaded by dedicatedshopper.
so here it is. Another picture of my sister and her husband on their big day. I realised that posting the picture of them in their western attire was probably not entirely representative of the experience. Besides the outfits are just so beautiful!

It's funny, as a youngster I always appreciated western clothing more than anything else. I wouldn't be caught dead in any traditional Nigerian garb. Being forced to don iro and buba was serious punishment to me! Looking at my sister's outfit though, it rivals anything to be found on the catwalks of Paris or Milan. Which begs a serious thought, why is Nigerian haute-couture not being exploited and pursued more aggressively? And I don't mean catering purely for local audiences, why is this incredible art form not being sold to the rest of the world as bonafide fasion as opposed to kitschy afroccentric gear? Lagos Fashion week 2006?

5 Comments:

Blogger nubian said...

i think that it is because it's "too" african or nigerian, for a western eurocentric audience.

but some african americans i know, would gobble it up, and sometimes do.

i wonder though, why would you want it to be exploited?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. Not so much exploitation, recognition. The flair fo design and style that results in these creations in my opinion deserves stand-alone recognition. Purely as an art form.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pics !!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

beeeeeaaaaauuuutiful!

I think you've found a niche in the market... go for it

(next up the catwalk from house monef comes the stunning...)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

goodness, its such a small world. you're omo's sister!!

how are u?

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home