Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I'm feeling.....

Blissful. Happy. Relaxed. Today is a good day for me, for some reason I'm feeling uber-content. It's a strange reflection of my general frame of mind that I can't help but think that this feeling is too good to last, and that something is waiting right aroung the corner to shatter my idyll.

It's been a fairly uneventful day thus far(of course its 10.30am, so that's probably speaking too soon!)consisting of me sitting at my desk toiling for "THE MAN". Monday saw my return to the kitchen for the first time in ages. K came over for dinner so I made coconut-jollof rice for the first time. Even I was impressed with the outcome. It was also my roommate, Debbi's introduction to Nigerian cuisine. I think she took it pretty well, there was minimal sweating involved!!

Yesterday, I went to Bliss, a local bar after work with the visa section crowd. It was interesting noting that dynamic again, I haven't done that for a while. I had to step out of myself for a little while and observe the group interactions. It was almost like watching the National Geographic channel. 'Observe the girls preen as they coyly push their hair behind their ears and giggle at everything the boys say.' This mating call was of course answered by the two young men(in a true reflection of todays world, women outnumber men 3-1 in the visa section!)as they puffed out their chests and and threw their heads back. It was at that point that it happened. I couldn't control it. A huge cackle of laughter escaped my mouth, and it was all downhill from there. I laughed so hard, I started crying. End result: Efe calls cab and goes home where it takes her a further 15 minutes to calm down and stop laughing. Post Script: Half of the visa section will probably never talk to Efe again!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nneka's World said...

Coconut-jollof rice! Hmm you are making me hungry and its only 11am!
Kitchen i need to resume my "duties" as i and kitchen do not agree.

5:54 AM  
Blogger c0dec said...

visa section crowd??? what's that?

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mwah mwah mwah ha ha....special kind of hell girl, special kind of hell....dont worry I'll be there wit ya...hehehehe

4:41 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

that's people who work in the visa section at the british consulate in new york

12:35 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

I know....do you think the flames are different colour for people like us??!!!

Maybe they won't even take us cos we're to evil...we'll be spat out!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home