Thursday, November 13, 2008

Say You're One of Them Say You're One of Them by http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1033445.Uwem_Akpan">Uwem Akpan

My'>http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/37649874?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_review">

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
I picked ths book up on a whim, as I am currently trying to factor at least one African author a month into my reading list. It was quite an incredible experience. 'Say You Are One of Them' is basically a collection of six short stories, some very short, some rather long (almost novellas) but they all feel just right.

Each story is set in a different African country and they are always told from the perspective of a child. It was sad, joyful, moving and exhilarating all at the same time. Uwem Akpan has such beatifully graceful prose that even reading about genocide and religious conflict can seem ordinary and extraordinary all at once. This book would be an excellent selection for a book club, marre only by the fact that each story in itself has more than enough juice to support hours and hours of lively discussion.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Neogogo said...

So I finally found your blog, hon! Great stuff but I suspected it would be. Don't you dare have a lull when I've developed a taste for Monef! Don't wanna have to go over there and smack you. Have you read "Imagine That" by Sade Adeniran? Bout a girl whose Dad abandons her and her brother somewhere in Western Nigeria after their mom dies? Couldn't put it down!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Monef said...

Thanks for droppping by!!! Miss you guys man. I will try not to have a lull, but inspiration is proving scarce at the moment. That said, your lovely comments just might spur me into action! I haven't read 'Imagine That', it is quite difficult to keep abreast of Nigerian authors in the states. I'm in London for a month though, so I will put that on my list of next books to read. Thanks for the rec!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home