Friday, May 04, 2007

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me

1. I am an obsessive alphabetiser. I can be a rather messy person, but I am very particular about the numbers and letters. I catalogue almost everything I own both numerically and alphabetically. I find it quite soothing, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment but it tends to drive most people bonkers. My entire CD, DVD and book collection is painstakingly arranged in numerical and alphabetical order and I flip out if anyone disrupts the order. On the other hand every time I open my wardrobe, I fling all the clothes and shoes out in all directions! I have also been known from time to time to listen to my music in alphabetical order. Sad, I know.

2. I am a free association maven. My chain of thought tends to be very tangential and as a result, conversations with me can sometimes become akin to solving a crossword puzzle as I pick up threads and drop them with seeming randomness. There is usually a link running through them all, the sort of chaotic pattern that can only be determined after spending a reasonable amount of time in my world.

3. I hate chocolate. I do not share the obsession that the female population of this world seems to have with chocolate. It is too sweet, too rich and quite frankly far too pointless to warrant further discussion.

4. I love Britney Spears. For this travesty I have neither explanation nor recourse. I just like her, I can’t really say why. No matter what utter level of trashiness she sinks too, I cannot help but root for her. I’m not sure what that says about me, but hey there are worse things right?

5. I am a trivia queen. I have no idea what I did before Wikipedia cam into my life, and I don’t want to bother remembering. I read magazines painstakingly from cover to cover going through every article (I hate it when people just look at the pictures!) whether it is the Economist or Heat!

6. I am a certified cry-baby. Everything makes me cry I am just very good at hiding it. Certain songs make my eyes mist over whenever they pop up on my ipod, and I always take tissues to the movies cos you never know. As for day-to-day life, I get lots of dust in my eye as frequently as I can, plus my aura of confidence has people convinced that there is no way those could be tears in my eyes.

7. I hate Erykah Badu. Again, like the Britney thing, there is no logical explanation for this. She checks all the boxes, and judging by the rest of my taste in music I should really love her stuff, but for some reason she leaves me cold. I do love the fact that despite the most ardent efforts of the music industry to tell me otherwise, I cannot be programmed to like something.

8. I am an ITK (for all you non-Nigerians, translates as: know it all). I think I have been an ITK since the day I was born, and that is never going to change. In primary school, the popular girls’ cliques used to refer to me as ‘the dictionary’ with the intent of hurting my feelings. I found that quite amusing and thanked them for advertising my intelligence so I didn’t have to. My closest friend in NYC always refers to me with the catchphrase ‘too much book’. I love it!

9. I enjoy my own company far too much. I love spending time with Monef, observing how she has changed over time and revisiting her old haunts and pastimes. It isn’t necessarily something that I do too often (my mother always tells me that loners are losers, but I refuse to listen) but when I do, I always wonder what took me so long. *I know it is indulgent to refer to myself in the 3rd person but it felt appropriate!

10. I care far more about what other people think of me than I am willing to let on. Oh well, I guess the cat is out of the bag on that one, I am no different from most people in the sense that I just want to be loved.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger monie said...

LOL... I enjoyed reading this alot. :=). I'm with you on numbers 2,5,6,7 and 9. (especially the last four).

I however don't understand #3... HOW do you not like chocolate??! *sigh*. I really wished I shared that sentiment because if I keep up with the current obsession I have with it, it just might prove to be my undoing... *sigh*... I am OH SO addicted!...

Anyway, just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your post... :=)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mo: no chocolate????? There aren't many instances I will suggest psychotherapy, but this one takes the cake.

Paging Dr. Freud.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Morountodun said...

Your alphabetising (is that a real word I wonder) of the record collection is funny. I never have been able to get the hang of that one as I work by genre. It would kill me if my Randy Crawford was beside my Sting (actually is your record collection alphabetical by artiste or by album title?).

I feel you on the Wiki one though, but the question is do you update too? I've been known to spend hours researching Naija stuff just to get it on Wiki, yes sad...

5:00 AM  
Blogger Admin UD said...

Oh! dear, i so love the last one, 'I care far more about what other people think of me than I am willing to let on'

Which is def. true! in 99% of humans. A lot of people have committed suicide becos of their inability to blend in with the society in which they live or simply cos they dont feel loved either by commission or omission.

This my first time here, expect moree of me in due course.

Muchas Gracias!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Zaynnah Magazine said...

I can definitely relate to points 2,6,9, and 10.

Meanwhile, you hate chocolate? How? Why? Although I hear you when you say that the stuff is too sweet, too rich and too pointless for further discussion. But as one who does like chocolate, I do acknowledge the fact that the stuff is overrated.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew all of those things!I can confirm they are all very true!

Everyone will get over the not liking chocolate thing in time, i can just imagine the look of abject distaste as you wrote that.

and having not lived with you for a while, i almost forgot about the listening alphabetically....now whilst i luuurve your quirky monefisms,that was just too weird sometimes.

Oh and you forgot to mention that you label all your CDs and DVDs with you name and if i remember correctly the year on the inside label....hehehehe!

9:19 AM  
Blogger JRR42 said...

I am with you on the trivia thing. I think I have become obsessive. Google and Wikipedia are filling my mind with pointless information. Kinda long for the days when I could sit around without a thought in my head.

7:29 PM  
Blogger adumaadan - Blacktinkerbell said...

Free association, check. trivia queen and cry baby, check. ITK and enjoying my own company, definitely check. Do I care far more about what others think than I let on? I guess so.

On the obsessive alphabetising and not liking chocolate, all I can say is WHAT??????????????????

7:49 AM  
Blogger Monef said...

Its good to know that there are so many closet trivia and free association lovers out there!

The chocolate thing never fails to shock people!

I guess my alphabetisation is a touch weird..too much information!

@boo boo - before you diss my quirks, stop and think. I know all about you and those piegeons that touch your face...... I hold a lot of information over you head mate, I am not afraid to share!!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dissing...who me?no such thing, like i said i luv your quirks. as for pigeons, i really don't know what you're talking about!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home