Thursday, May 03, 2007

Spring Is In The Air

Umm….why did I spend 6 hours at the salon yesterday??!! Rage. There are times when I hate being a woman. Of course, on the plus side I can now look in the mirror without being frightened by what I see. Plus 4 guys told me how gorgeous I was on the way to work this morning, which is a new record for me. So I will make my peace with the precious hours lost to the curling tongs and move on:)

On the plus side, things are looking up weather wise in NYC. Spring is in effect and there are cherry blossoms galore popping up all over the city. The skirts are getting shorter, the tops are getting smaller and nail studios are doing brisk business again. This is my favourite time of the year, when you have months of endless sunshine stretched out before you like a blank canvas, waiting to be filled with scenes of bliss, pleasure and contentment. The walk home from work is made far more pleasurable by the smells of barbecues, the ringing of laughter and the sight of the cold frosty glasses of beer and margaritas on the tables littering the sidewalks outside cafes.
Brooklyn is a paradise in spring/summer. It feels like all is right with the world and nothing could possibly go wrong. Suddenly everybody seems gorgeous and filled with life. I think I am living in the wrong country if this is the effect that a simply change in weather has on me. When I step outside my apartment and into the sunshine, I am filled with a sensation akin to euphoria. That never happens to me in winter. Not even after the most beautiful snowfall (I really don’t care for snow), I always feel doomed in winter. Every problem becomes magnified x20 and every joy is tempered with the feeling that it might not last. I need my own private island, or at least a beach house (eyin guys, do you hear??!!)

However, I will take what I can get for now which is glorious days filled with excitement, relaxation and many frosty cocktails. A great reminder of all the reasons I moved to NYC in the first place.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Morountodun said...

Its amazing the amount of S.A.D. people walking around in the winter and I'm sure most of us are mildly S.A.D. at least some of the time. It can appear that we are "losing" half our lives while we wait for Summertime. I can almost hear Fantasia singing...

8:49 PM  
Blogger uknaija said...

Enjoy the sun...while you can

7:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Monef: I know exactly how you feel: I spent seven hours in the salon yesterday. Sometimes I hate being a man.

Welcome back to posting. How about we get more now that you seem happier?

10:15 AM  
Blogger Monef said...

@morountodun - I vaguely remeber reading several articles about SAD back in the UK. Didn't realise it would be such a problem on this side of the ocean.

@uknaija - I FULLY INTEND TO!

@fred - Pretty soon you guys will be begging me to shut up!:)

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home