Thursday, January 03, 2008

Right time. Right place. Right man.

Even up in New York City where there will be no electoral scrambling until February, the excitement is palpable. There is a real buzz in the air and a sense that something dramatic is about to take place. Today the Iowans will caucus and we will see whether all the buzz and hype of the last year has translated into anything solid.

My first experience of the US electoral process was in 2004, and the difference this time is astonishing to behold. This time, nothing is cut and dried and everyone (well, almost everyone) is a contender to some extent. This is what I imagined when I was learning all about the lofty ideals of democracy in school. I know that there is a lot of standard politicking, empty promises etc. going about, but still, there is a sense that something very exciting is about to happen.

In 2004, I really didn’t care. It was a case of hoping for the most tolerable of the bunch. This time however, there are several capable people with varying strengths jockeying for votes. It feels more like a scene from The West Wing than modern day politics (for TWW fans out there, you will have notices the nod to the tagline of that great show in my title) I am actually excited at the prospect of a vote that doesn’t involve reality TV!

I cast my lot with Barack Obama, and for the first time since I moved to the US, I am saddened by the fact that I am ineligible to vote. I really think he has something very special, something one rarely sees in politicians these days. It is intangible (that appears to be my buzzword of 2008), but he really resonates with me. If I could, he would be my number 1 choice, but I do my part by persuading my friends who are registered voters that his cause is one worth supporting.
The political roller-coaster of a year has swung into action, I can’t wait to se how it plays out!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, two posts in a row! Niiice.

You do know Hussein has a snowball's chance in hell of winning, right?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

I know right?! Who knew I still had it in me? Ha ha!

As for Barack's chances...y'all said he wouldn't get this far and he has. I'm choosing optimism, wishy-washy leftie that I am!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Afrobabe said...

Hmmm for me I think there is a definte positive change going on in america...

I dont care who wins between Hilary and Obama...Obama is a landmark victory for the blacks and Hilary for women world wide.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@afrobabe - I agree with you that there is a positive change.

I do however disagree about the reasons for victory. I care deeply about who wins, because I think that more than a victory for blacks or women, we need a victory for honesty and trustworthiness. If Barack wins the nomination, I will be glad because I support his views and stances, but more importantly, his message has remained intact throughout the campaign. I think he is the right man regardless of his colour for the job.

While it would be historic to have a woman win, I am not convinced that Hillary Clinton should be that woman. She just doesn't strike that chord for me and I am not convinced by her motivations or her campaign promises. Her message seems to change in tandem with the polls, so yeah I will take Barack over Hillary any day.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's terrible when your an expatriate and can't vote. I'd vote for Obama in a minute too. This country needs someone who's willing ot try something new.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Monef said...

@ cacamocha - my sentiments exactly!

11:08 PM  
Blogger trae_z said...

I am actually excited at the prospect of a vote that doesn’t involve reality TV!

ha-ha, what a funny world.

i wish i could understand the US electoral system/procedure. primaries here and there, different states. never been that bothered to read it up but from what i see it sure is very interesting. wish our own politics/elections in Nigeria were as vibrant as that. Hope all your dreams come through this year. peace!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Talatu-Carmen said...

I read your blog from time to time, but haven't commented before. But my vote is for Obama, all the way!! It is exciting to watch him, and to think of the possibility of voting for someone I believe in rather than just the least annoying candidate. cheers. And I wish you could vote too!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Talatu-Carmen said...

Hey, I remembered this thread just now when I was sending some other friends information about this. There are a group of people on facebook who are trying to start a website showing the support of those who cannot vote for Obama. They've started an email address voteforthosewhocant @ gmail . com where one can send comments on why you support Obama (noting location and why you can't vote). They've also started a blog: http://voteforthosewhocant.blogspot.com/

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home